Издательство OXFORD PRESS для OXFORD BOOKWORMS LIBRARY. Автор Rudyard Kipling.
Примечания: делайте видео во весь экран.
Слушать / Смотреть бесплатно онлайн аудиокнигу с текстом (в видео формате) JUNGLE BOOK:
Attack: (v) to try to hurt or kill someone
Bite: to cut something with your teeth
Chase: to run after someone or something
Frightened: afraid herd a large group of cows (or other animals) that live and eat together
Hiss: a long ‘ssss’ sound, which a snake makes
Hunt: (v) to chase and kill animals for food
Jungle: a thick forest in hot, wet countries
King: the most important man in a country
Law: something that tells you what you must and must not do
Leader: the person or animal that tells others what to do
look after: to keep someone or something well, and away from danger
master-word: a special or important word, that everybody knows
peace: a time when there is no fighting or trouble
punish: to hurt someone because he or she did something wrong
ravine: a long narrow place with high sides of rock
roar: (n) a long deep sound, made by animals like tigers
rupee: money used in India
sad: not happy
safe: not in danger
whisper: (v) to speak in a very low, soft voice
1 What do you know about jungles? Choose the best answers to these questions.
1 What is the weather like in a jungle?
a) It rains a lot. d) It is very cold.
b) It never rains. e) It is very hot.
c) It snows in winter. f) It is warm, but not hot.
2 Which of these countries have jungles?
a) Italy d) Spain
b) Brazil e) India
c) Canada f) Japan
2 Which of these things do you find in jungles? Underline the most usual things.
|3 Read the story introduction on the first page of the book, and the back cover. How much do you know now about the story?|
|Tick one of the boxes for each sentence.||yes||no|
|1 The jungle is in Southern India.||?||?|
|2 Mowgli is a wolf-cub.||?||?|
|3 Mother Wolf wants to keep the baby.||?||?|
|4 The baby is afraid of Mother Wolf.||?||?|
|5 Mowgli dies while he is still a baby.||?||?|
|6 A bear and a panther are his teachers.||?||?|
|7 Shere Khan the tiger is Mowgli’s friend.||?||?|
|8 Mowgli grows up with his wolf family.||?||?|
|4 What will happen in this story? Can you guess? Tick one of the boxes for each sentence.||yes||no|
|1 When Mowgli grows up, some of the wolves want to kill him.||?||?|
|2 Mowgli leaves the jungle and goes to live in a village.||?||?|
|3 He goes to school and learns to read and write.||?||?|
|4 Shere Khan the tiger goes away and forgets about Mowgli.||?||?|
|5 Mowgli kills Shere Khan.||?||?|
|6 Shere Khan kills Mowgli.||?||?|
Read Chapter 1. Who said these words in the chapter?
1 ‘The man’s cub belongs to us.’
2 ‘I will have this man-cub one day, you thieves!’
3 ‘I will call him Mowgli, the frog.’
4 ‘Let him run with the Pack. I myself will teach him.’
5 ‘It is bad to kill a man-cub.’
6 ‘Take him away, and teach him well.’
Read Chapter 2. Here are some untrue sentences about it. Change them into true sentences.
1 Mowgli always loved his lessons with Baloo.
2 The Monkey-People were quiet and clean.
3 The monkeys carried Mowgli away to a cave.
4 Baloo and Bagheera asked Chil the kite for help.
5 Bagheera called Kaa the python an ‘old yellow fish’.
6 Mowgli wanted to stay with the Monkey-People.
Read Chapter 3. Choose the best question-word for these questions, and then answer them.
Who / What / Where / Why
1. . . . attacked the monkeys first?
2. . . . did Kaa the python go?
3. . . . did Mowgli hear in the dark room?
4. . . . did Mowgli tell Bagheera to get into the water?
5. . . . made a hole in the wall?
6. . . . did Kaa do in front of the monkeys?
7. . . . was Bagheera angry with Mowgli?
Read Chapter 4, and then complete these sentences with the best word.
1. The animals could not look into Mowgli’s__________ .
2. One day Akela could not kill his_________ in the hunt.
3. The wolves said that a man did not_________ in the Wolf-Pack.
4. Mowgli hit Shere Khan with a_________ stick.
5. Mowgli knew he had to go to the world of_______ .
Before you read Chapter 5, can you guess what will happen?
Tick one box for each sentence. yes no
- Mowgli forgets all about his wolf-family. ? ?
- He learns the language of men. ? ?
- He makes friends with other boys. ? ?
- He stays in the village for the rest of his life. ? ?
- Shere Khan makes a plan to kill Mowgli. ? ?
- The people of the village help Mowgli to kill Shere Khan. ? ?
1 Match the names with the animals in this story.
Shere Khan the leader of the Wolf-Pack
Baloo a python
Bagheera a kite
Akela a jackal
Bandar-log a wolf
Chil a tiger
Kaa a bear
Grey Brother a panther
2 Who do these sentences describe? Fill in the names.
1.______teaches the Law of the Jungle to the wolf-cubs.
2. ______is brown and yellow, and ten metres long. His dance is dangerous to watch.
3. ______are noisy and dirty. They make many plans and forget them five minutes later.
4. ______has green eyes and is as black as the night. He is clever, strong, and dangerous.
5. _____kills cows and steals children. He is afraid of fire.
6. _____eats anything, and makes a lot of trouble.
3 How did Mowgli kill Shere Khan the tiger? Put these parts of sentences in the right order to make a paragraph of four sentences.
- They put the cows and the buffaloes into two groups
- he made a plan
- while Mowgli and Akela took the buffaloes to the top of the ravine.
- One day Grey Brother came to tell Mowgli that
- and then Grey Brother drove the cows into the bottom end of the ravine.
- Shere Khan was hiding in the ravine of the Waingunga.
- and asked Grey Brother and Akela to help him.
- He kept the cows there
- When Mowgli heard this,
4 Now finish the story of the death of Shere Khan. Use the words below to complete the passage.
because / so / so / when / and / and / but
_____ the buffaloes began to run down the ravine, Shere Khan heard the noise______ woke up. He too began to run
_____ he could not run fast_______ he was heavy with his dinner and his drink. The ravine was high and narrow
_____ he could not climb out of it,________ he could not get past the cows at the bottom. There was no way for him to escape, he died under the feet of the buffaloes.
5 Here is a new illustration for the story. Find the best place in the story to put the picture, and answer these questions.
The picture goes on page______
1 Who are the characters in the picture?
2 What did the man want to do?
3 Why is he frightened?
Now write a caption for the illustration
6 In each of these groups of words from the story, one word does not belong. Which word is it, and can you explain why?
1 run, climb, swim, jump, think
2 cow, deer, kite, buffalo, jackal
3 sun, cloud, moon, cave, star
4 bite, hiss, whisper, roar, shout
5 hill, ravine, mountain, valley, garden
6 brother, hunter, father, sister, mother
7 angry, frightened, tired, tall, hungry
7 Many people have written stories about animals who can talk. Look at these ideas. Do you agree (A) or disagree (D) with them?
1 Animals can’t talk.
2 Perhaps animals can talk, but humans don’t understand their language.
3 Perhaps wolves can talk to wolves and monkeys to monkeys, but wolves can’t talk to monkeys.
4 Animals can’t speak like humans, but they use a language of things like sounds and smells.
5 Some animals are cleverer than humans.
8 Which animal did you like best in The Jungle Book} And which animal do you like best in real life? Explain why.